Tuesday, May 31, 2011

30 Day Challenge--Day 4

Day 04- A habit that you wish you didn't have, or something that you are looking forward to.

Hola! I hope this blog finds you well. How am I? Well, great! A little crispy from 3 pool days in a row, but when you're trying to be as tan as your Venezuelan boyfriend :) some skin sacrifices have to be made. ;) Juuuuust kidding, I just love the pool and sun! :)

I really like the topics for day 4, and I've decided that I am going to write about both of them! :) I will let you know in advance that the first topic is not going to be so easy for me to write about. It requires me to be super honest and let y'all in on some of my flaws. Oh well, it's a challenge so it's gotta be a little hard, right?!

1. A habit that you wish you didn't have.

I've had lots of bad habits in my life like biting my nails and smoking (Yup, I was a smoker for 10 years--but smoke free now for three years and 4 months!!!), but these things I've "kicked" and no longer battle with. My bad habits now aren't so much things that can be viewed by others, but things that are going on within myself. I'd have to say that one of the worst habits I have now is extreme thinking. For those that don't know what extreme thinking is I'll define it for you: all-or-none and black-and-white type of thinking. I've been like this for a long time and I never even knew what it was until about two years ago. Knowing I think this way wasn't so easy for me to accept, but it really made a lot of sense. For example, I am a very happy person (My big cheeser smile proves that true) but let's say something happens like I bounce a check or I find out I have to do something at work I wasn't expecting. This is enough to completely change my mood from happy to upset in next to no time. But it doesn't stop there. Now that something has gone wrong, everything in my day is bad. Like, since everything cannot be great then everything has to be bad. Isn't that just a nasty way of thinking?!!! I know, I think so too! But anyway, instead of sitting around sulking and thinking that this is the way it has to be, I've learned to recognize when I am doing it and I'm getting pretty good at stopping myself from overreacting and letting small things ruining my day. I just tell myself what I tell my students if they've been reprimanded by me or maybe had an argument with a friend---just because we had a rough patch doesn't mean the whole day has to be bad. I've come to realize that these are words I need to live by too--kind of like practice what you preach Ms. Pride. :)

So even though this is a habit I wish I didn't have, it is one that I am learning to control and hopefully one day end.  Hey, if I can quit smoking then I should be able to quit this too!  How about a little self reflection on your part.  What are some habits that you wish you didn't have?  Are they things that you can change easily with little effort, or are they things that may take time and work to end?  And most importantly, will changing these habits make you feel better about who you are? 

2.  Something that you are looking forward to.
 
Now this is a fun topic to write about. :)  Not as serious as the first one.  So here we go.....
 
This Saturday, at 2 pm to be exact, Guillermo and I are going ziplining outside of Mt. Airy.  We're going to the Carolina Canopy Ziplines Tour. Ohhhhhh, and I am super excited!  Check out their website here.  I bought the trip from Groupon.  It was one of their daily deals.  At first it was supposed to be a surprise that I wasn't going to share with G until that day. But I told him that I had a surprise for him and I kept bringing it up to drive him crazy not knowing what it was. :P  He asked me for clues more than once, but he's a good guesser (he figured out I was taking him strawberry picking after like three clues) so I kept giving him conflicting clues to throw him off. (I know, how mean!!) I ended up telling him a couple weeks ago over dinner.  With the help of the Internet on his phone, my clues, and a cheesy illustration on a napkin :)  he learned what we were doing.  And he's looking forward to it! :) We've both never done it and so it will be a fun experience for us both.  There is a slight problem though--I'm afraid of heights.  Not too the extreme though.  I'll be scared at first, but I'll be fine once I start.  Guillermo's isn't scared of heights though which is a good thing. 
 
Something else I am looking forward to is Sunday.  Guillermo has a surprise for me.  He however, won't give me clues.  I'm just going to have to wait it out to find out what it is.  I'm hoping it's something pretty cool.  Fingers crossed!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)