Sunday, June 5, 2011

30 Day Challenge--Day 9

Day 09- Something you’re proud of

Okay, there are many things that I am proud of.  I'm proud of my siblings, my 2nd graders for never ceasing to amaze me academically, my mom and dad for having the means to put me through college, etc.  But with this particular post, I'm going to go with something I am proud of in myself.

A few months back the IRT (Instructional Resource Teacher) came into my classroom one morning.  She said she needed to talk to me about something.  I rememberer joking around and saying something about probably being in trouble. :)  That was far from the truth!  She explained that in the fall our school would be receiving three student teachers from Appalachian State University and that my name came up when they were deciding which teachers to place the students with.  Then she asked me if I would like to have a student teacher.  I was completely shocked that anyone would ever ask me to have a student teacher.  I mean, I've only been teaching 6 years and what do I know about mentoring a future teacher? I remember telling the IRT that I can't do it because I'm too scared.  She was so sweet and encouraging and assured me that I most definitely could do it and I have such a positive attitude and I would be great for this.  She also promised me that she would help me through it.  I just smiled my big cheeser Ashley Pride smile and responded, "Okay!" :) 

I felt pretty honored being asked to have a student teacher because that must mean people think I'm a good teacher!  I can remember my first year of teaching.  It was awful!  I mean I barely had my head above water all year.  I was always so overwhelmed and the group of kids I had, although very bright, were very hard to manage.  When I look back on that year I almost always cringe.  It was just terrible.  But I made it through and the next year was so much better and the years that have followed have been great!  I know that I've really improved as a teacher and I've gotten pretty good.  Now, I don't consider myself good enough to have a student teacher, but everyone else I've told has assured me that I am a great teacher and will do so well with a student teacher.  It feels awesome knowing that people view me as a good teacher.  I'm always so hard on myself and I know I need to give myself more credit.

That whole day I couldn't wait to call home.  I just couldn't wait to tell my parents!  It felt so good sharing the news with them.  My mom was so happy and must have told me three times how proud she was of me. I'm have to admit that I'm pretty proud of me too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)