Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wowza!!! What a week!

Hello fellow blog followers! :)

Well as we all know, I wrapped up my 30 day challenge on Sunday.  I have to say that I'm sorry you haven't heard from me since.  I especially have to apologize to my loyal follower Julie, who was reading my blog on a daily....er, late night basis while up with her baby.  I had planned to blog on Tues or the latest Wed, but this week was super hectic!

Many of you already know that this week was my last week of school.  Not only was I trying to get end-of- year things together, like awards for the kiddos and a little special something for my sweet 7 and 8 year olds, but it was also report card week.  Now, for those of you that are not familiar with Wake County's report cards, I will tell you they aren't the handwritten kind that many of us received as kids.  I can remember that when I was in elementary school I got a report card that had letter grades and for work habits and behavior I received either an S or N to indicate satisfactory or needs improvement.  Oh, and I almost forgot that there would be a 1 sentence comment at the bottom that may have read: Ashley is a pleasure to have in class, or have a great summer.  The report cards that I have to do have number grades (yes, number grades: 1, 2, 3, 3*, or 4) and a lengthy comment section.  I am required to note each student's strengths, areas for improvement, and any interventions that I implemented during the quarter.  It takes a very long time to complete report cards.  It's super tedious and some may call it torture!  EEK!

So, hopefully after explaining where I have been all week you will find it in your heart to understand, and perhaps forgive me for being MIA for a few days! ;-)

Today was my last day of school.  It's always bitter sweet.  You really get to know your class over the 180 day school year.  I mean think about it, I spent 7 hours a day, 5 days a week with my kiddos.  I was joking after school today with my amazing co-worker and friend, Megan that when you're a teacher it's like you have custody of your students.  Then the year ends and all you get is visitation every now and again when the kids pop in to say hello.  It's tough letting go, but it happens and we all move on and adapt to our new year. I have to say though that this year I really had some wonderful kids in my class.  And parents too.  I really enjoy getting to know my students' parents.  It's important to me to have a good relationship with both the student and parent.  It just makes the year so much better, and FUN!  And this year I had a group of great parents that were super involved.

I will tell you though that I am looking forward to my new group.  I have some really cute kiddos coming my way.  And they'll be here before I know it!  July 11th marks the new year and my 7th year of teaching.  I'll also be getting my student teacher in September and I'm feeling good about that too.  It will be a new experience for me, but I know it's going to be a positive one.  I'm going to be so spoiled having another teacher in the room with me.  I hope s/he will be full of energy like me and full of fresh ideas!  :) I'm especially excited about having my co-worker, Megan's son, Liam in my class.  :)

I'll be back to work on Tuesday, after my quick 4 day summer break. :P  I'm excited about getting all the beginning of the year "stuff" ready.  This weekend I'll be hitting the Dollar Store for stickers, pencils, vibrant colored poster board, etc., to get the ball rolling next week on the zillion things I need to get together before the 11th.  Next week will be stressful at times, but it's also exciting to me too.  :)  I really love being a teacher.  I just can't imagine ever doing anything else.

Before I go, I have to show you a quick video from school today.  I like to have fun in my class.  And with it being the last day of school, extra fun was for certain in order.  I have turned almost all of my students into Mindy Gledhill fans.  She is just the sweetest singer who writes her own songs.  And, the first artist I've ever exposed to any of my students.  Music today is so vulgar and inappropriate and not suitable for small ears.  But "Mindy" (as the kids and I call her) is totally G rated and fun to listen to.  Anyway, since it was the last day, and I love silliness, the kids had a little Mindy dance party.  Take a look:

video

Silly kiddos! :)

Make sure you tune in soon because I'm going to be sharing my zip lining adventures that Guillermo and I had Saturday, the 25th.  Here's a sneak peek:


G snapped this pic of me after we "zipped" across our first line AND walked across a wobbly bridge (I was super freaked out walking across the bridge!!)

See y'all soon!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)