Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Vroooooooom!

My friend, Amanda is a blogger just like me.  She did the same 30 day challenge I did and is currently working on a 30 day clothing challenge.  She sent me a couple links of fun blogging topics.  I took a peek and I found some really neat topics to write on.  For my first topic this is what the prompt generator gave me:

What was your first car?

Well first of all I should tell you that I didn't get my driver's license until I was 20 year old.   Actually it was 2 weeks before my 21st birthday.  I can't believe I was so old!  My older sister Courtney took me.  It was kind of random.  I already knew how to drive, and had my permit like 6 different times since I was 16, but I never bothered getting my license.  It mostly had to do with the fact that I knew my parents weren't going to buy me a car, (they paid for college instead)  and living in the dorm, and later close to campus in an apartment, made it so I didn't need a car.

However, I knew that eventually I would have to get my license and a car.  One afternoon my sister, Courtney he was like, "Want to get your license today?" I remember we got there before the DMV opened and she had me practice parallel parking.  I did well and knew I was ready.  When I took the actual test though I did a crappy job at parallel parking but the guy still passed me anyway. Oh, and just so you know, I'm pretty good at parallel parking and don't mind having to do it at all. ;-)  

Okay, enough about that and on to my first car.  The last semester of college was my student teaching.  I had two placements.  First, I student taught in 3rd grade, and then I moved on to 6th.  I moved back home with my mom and dad to student teach because it was easier.  For the first part of my student teaching my mom drove me every single day.  That's right.  She dropped me off each morning and picked me up after school.  And to be honest, I didn't mind it one bit.  I didn't have a car yet and it's not like I could just keep my mom's car all day while she sat at home.

Now, while in my first student teaching placement, my sister Jaclyn (who lives in Burlington) was in the process of buying a new car.  She wanted to get rid of her old one, but instead of selling it, she gave it to my mother for my sisters and me to use.  My mom agreed and met her halfway to pick up the car.  (If you've forgotten, my parents live in WV.)  It was registered and all that jazz and then there was a car.  At first Courtney used it, but then somewhere in the mix it became my car.  This was right around the time my first teaching placement was ending and my next one in 6th grade was beginning.  When the 2nd placement started I used the car and took myself to and from the middle school each day.  I drove that car through the remainder of my student teaching and for a little while after.  At the end of December (I graduated in 3 1/2 years so I had a December graduation)  I moved to Alabama for a few months and the car was passed back to Courtney where it lived out the remainder of its days.

Anyway, for the actual car.  It was a 1989 baby blue Toyota Corolla.  Ohhhh yeah!!  Here's a picture of the car.  (Note: this is not an actual picture of my car, just one I found on the web)




Isn't she a beaut?!  :)   I actually LOVED driving this car.  It was the best for parallel parking and there were no blind spots in this car.  Oh, and the heat worked AWESOME!  :)  However, there were some downfalls to the car.  To start, when Jaclyn owned the car she had a CD player installed in it.  Where she lived she parked along the street, and one night some people busted in the window and stole the CD player and all her CDs.  She never had it replaced so there was no music to cruz to.  Don't think for a second this didn't stop ghetto fabulousness from taking affect.  Courtney had an old cd player and speakers so we used that when we drove the car.  Hahahahaha, how ghetto!!!  Another thing about the car was the pick up, errrrr, or lack there of.  Living in WV you are faced with many inclines on the interstate.  Well this old girl struggled to make her way up hills.  The gas petal would be all the way to the floor and the car was barely scooting along.  About halfway up the hill the car would finally pick up speed.  And really I didn't mind it one bit!  That car was good to me and I loved it. :)  I wonder what ever happened to it?  At 22 years old I can't imagine it being anywhere but the dump!  

So there you have it, the story of my first car. :)  


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're back! My late night Emwrsyn feedings aren't the same without you! This post had me laughing. I picture you in this car rockin' out to the music on a boom box! AWESOME! I got my permit at 16, license at 17. My first car was a deep purple 97' chevy Cavalier. Everyone called it the purple jelly bean.
    I loved that car!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)