Saturday, July 2, 2011

ZipLining = AWESOME! :)

Hola!  :)  Happy 4th of July weekend!  I hope y'all have something fun planned.  Nothing too crazy for me, but still will be spending time with good company. :)

Anyway, Guillermo and I went ziplining last Saturday, June 25th.  Talk about total AWESOMENESS! :)  A few months back I bought two Groupons to Carolina Canopy Ziplining Tours in Westfield, NC, near Mr. Airy.  It was too good of a daily deal to pass up, and so I bought the deal as a surprise for Guillermo.  Well, let's just say I spilled the beans early to him. ;)

We tried to use our Groupon about a month ago, but unfortunately we couldn't go because the place was going to be closed that day. :(  So, we booked it for Saturday at 2 and together we made the 2 1/2 trek together.  Yes, it was a bit of a drive, but it was so totally worth it! :)

We got there around 1:45 not really knowing what to expect?  Immediately we were greeting by one of the owners and she was super nice.  She especially liked Guillermo and when we came back 2 hours later to drop off our gear, she remembered his name, but somehow managed to forget mine.  Uh-huh...she had her eye on my Latin Hottie!! :P

G and I were both surprised that there was no training or anything prior to getting harnessed up.  All we had to do was sign a waiver and we were set.  After a picture, and a restroom break where G knocked on the door pretty much the whole time I was in there, and then me in return trying to lock him in, ;) we were on our way to the first line.

We're ready to roll! :)


There were 10 people in our group.  3 guides (super nice) and 7 zipliners.  When we got to our first line (practice line) I was nervous.  After a quick tutorial it was time.  When we were asked who wanted to go first, I got nervous and volunteered Guillermo.  Hahahaha...can you believe I threw him under the bus?! :)  He went and then after a few more people, it was my turn.  Wow, talk about scary!!!  I was definitely freaked out.  After we all made it across, it was time for our 2nd practice line.  In order to get to the line we had to walk across a wobbly bridge one at a time.  I was reallllllly scared!  Halfway across I kind of stopped for a second because I wasn't sure if I could make it all the way.  Well I did, and thankfully that was the only bridge we crossed while  we were there.  Guillermo is fearless and he wasn't scared at all.  :)  Lucky boy!  

After a few lines, I started keeping my eyes open while zooming across the line and I loosened up and starting LOVING it.  I was a little freaked out when we were about to cross a line that we would be traveling over 50mph on.  EEK!!!  The guides told us that at halfway across the line we would have to begin slowing ourselves down.  (We wore gloves and on one glove there was a rounding piece of leather stitched to the palm.  We had to put our hand on the line behind our head to use as a steering guide and a brake.  To brake you simply put pressure on the line by pulling your hand down.)  Well, when I got to the halfway point and began applying pressure to the line I wasn't slowing down.  Ahhhhh, fortunately it was fine and I didn't get squashed on the tree when I was coming in. :)   The guide was able to stop me and all was good.  I did get joked though for coming in so fast.  :)

Let's break for some photos. :)  (Guillermo had the camera the majority of the time.  That's why there are more of me than him.)

 Guillermo took this pic after we crossed our first line. 

 Here I cooooooooooome! 

 WOW, what a rush!!

 Seeeeeeeeeee yah!


Cute Latin boy I picked up while I was there! ;-) 

The best part of the entire trip was when we got to go on the 1300 ft partner line.  It was super fun!!  Guillermo filmed it from his perspective.  Check it out!




After the 1300 ft line, it was time for the 1500 ft line.  And the coolest part was we could push off from the tree to gain some speed.  Of course G and I did that.  Here's Guillermo gearing up to go:

 :)

 Being hooked up. :)

 About to push off. 

Bye Babe! :)  

In all, we were able to zip along 12 different cables.  Depending on which platform we were on, we were 20-80 ft off the ground.  I have always had a fear of heights.  BUT, after ziplining for nearly 2 hours, I realized that I'm not as afraid of heights as I initially thought I was.  Guillermo and I had a really good time. I definitely recommend you try it out if you haven't already.

I took some silly pics of Guillermo. :)




So there you have it!  Our ziplining adventure. :)

1 comment:

  1. I had the opportunity to zip line in St. Lucia when we were on our honeymoon. I'm afraid of heights so I chickened out. 4 years later I really regret that choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)