Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hand Washing? Do you do it?

So, here's the deal, I started asking around this week about woman and hand washing after using the bathroom.  And what I came across completely floored me!  Some woman always wash their hands after using the restroom, while some only wash their hands when using public restrooms but not the ones in their own home. I even found a couple people who don't wash their hands after using public restrooms!!!  I don't like germs.  Nope, not one bit.  They make people sick and I don't know about you, but I HATE being sick!

I'm really quite shocked that people aren't washing their hands after using the bathroom.  I grew up in a house where hand washing was expected.  I washed my hands first thing after getting home from school, before eating a meal, after coming in from playing or swimming, and most importantly, after using the restroom.  I can still remember using my mom's bathroom as a little girl on the weekends and hearing her voice coming from her bedroom saying, "Wash your hands."  And that's exactly what I did.  I washed them with soap and warm water.  My mom did a great job of instilling the importance of good hygiene in her kids at a super young age.   Even as a teacher, when my students ask to use the bathroom I remind them to wash their hands with soap and warm water. 

Okay, so maybe I am a little extreme with germies and wash my hands a lot!  But hey, I'd rather have clean hands than nasty ones.  I'd like to share all the times when you SHOULD wash your hands: (I found this list on the Interwebs)

•Before, during, and after preparing food
•Before eating food
After using the toilet
•After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet
•Before and after caring for someone who is sick
•After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
•After touching an animal or animal waste
•After touching garbage
•Before and after treating a cut or wound

The thought of people not washing their hands, men and woman, makes my feel sick.  For the love of Pete people….wash your hands and do it well. This means lathering up and scrubbing for at least 20 seconds or for the length of time it takes to sing Happy Birthday twice.  And ALWAYS wash after your hands after using any bathroom.  It just makes sense! 

1 comment:

  1. Are you ready for my song?

    Twinkle, twinkle little star.
    Look how clean my two hands are.
    Soap and water, wash and scrub.
    Get those germs off rub a dub.
    Twinkle, twinkle little star.
    Look how clean my two hands are.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)