Thursday, August 11, 2011

On this day in history....



While venturing through the Bodies Exhibition at Myrtle Beach last weekend, (best birthday weekend ever!) I was reading some information about the human brain.  I read something along the lines of  "if you don't use it you lose it."  I really got to thinking afterwards and realized that since college I really haven't been challenging myself much in terms of gaining new knowledge.  And that kind of makes me sad honestly.  There's so much out there to be learned and I just don't take the initiative to dive in and take advantage. Plus, it doesn't help that I have the worst memory ever!


Anyway, I've decided I need to work on this "lazy brain" of mine and start reading more informational text.  For tonight's post, I decided to share some neat events I read about that took place on August 11th. 


1909 - The American ship Arapahoe became the first to ever use the SOS distress signal off the coast of Cape Hatteras, NC


1924 - Newsreel pictures were taken of U.S presidential candidates for the first time. (candidates: (R)Calvin Coolidge (winner), (D)John W. Davis, and (Progressive Party) Robert M. LaFollete)-----And, while looking up information on the progressive party, because honestly I didn't quite follow, I read that this was the first election that American Indians were recognized as citizens and could vote. I liked reading that little tidbit!! :)  


1934 -  Federal prisoners land on Alcatraz Island (also referred to "The Rock") in San Francisco Bay.  (Have you ever been there?  I highly recommend you tour the prison.  It rocks!....no pun intended! :-) Ha!)


1951 - The first major league baseball game to be televised in color was broadcast. The Brooklyn Dodgers defeated the Boston Braves 8-1.


1992 - In Bloomington, MN the Mall of America opened. It was the largest shopping mall in the U.S.


1995 - All U.S. nuclear tests were banned by President Clinton. 


2002 - US Airways announced that it had filed for bankruptcy. 


If you liked what you read, you can find more on the site -------> http://www.on-this-day.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)