Tuesday, August 9, 2011

PostSecret....Do you have one to share?

I first learned about PostSecret about 4 years ago when I was out in California.  I saw a PostSecret book sitting on a coffee table in my ex-boyfriend's dads house.  I picked it up and quickly became completely enthralled and read the whole book in one sitting.  Now wait.  For those of you that don't know what Post Secret is, there is no reason to be impressed with me reading the book in one sitting.  These books are not your typical books with characters and a plot. PostSecret was created by Frank Warren.  The way it works is random people write down a personal secret that nobody knows about on a homemade postcard. The postcard is mailed anonymously to a PO box.   No restrictions are made on the type of secret, just that it must be completely truthful and must never have been spoken before. Secrets range from sexual misconduct and criminal activity to confessions of secret desires, embarrassing habits, hopes and dreams. The secrets are later sorted through then posted on the PostSecret website, or used for PostSecret's books or museum exhibits.  I've never seen a museum exhibit, just the books and website.  Some of the secrets are pretty silly, while others are terribly sad and unfortunate. 

I recently purchased a used PostSecret book off of Amazon.  I was super excited because it was uber cheap and a hardback.  It was listed as being in good condition, but I will tell you though that when I opened the package up yesterday I was pretty disappointed.  Not only was the paper cover missing, but yucky greasy finger stains were present on the paper bag looking cover I was left with. :( Oh well, I knew what was inside would make up for it.  The book was pretty thick, but dang it if I didn't read the whole thing right there in 10 minutes!  I read some pretty sad secrets about relatives hurting children and regrets of untold things to loved ones before they passed.  I also read some super gross secrets.  The one that stands out most is the woman who wrote about putting boogers in her husband's soup when she was mad at him.  EWWWWW, that is so gross!!!!!! Who would even think to do something like that?!

Anyway, I really encourage you to check out PostSecret.  You can find books pretty cheap online at Amazon.  And here's 2 links juuuuust for you to see for yourself :  PostSecret and  PostSecretArchive.  And just to let you know again, some secrets are disturbing.  Don't say I didn't warn you!!! 


Here are a few I like and want to share with y'all. :) 

I don't even know where I would begin?  How about you?
Kinda funny, but sad if you really think about it.
Thankfully I'm always nice! :)

so scandalous!
And my favorite:


Whhhhhhhhat???!!  Great secret!!!


2 comments:

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)