Monday, September 5, 2011

The Help


I wrapped up reading The Help today.  Talk about a good book!  I was so enthralled in the story that all I could do was sit and read for hours at a time. This went on for days.  I told my roommate, Yazz that I'm usually not so anti-social, but I just couldn't put the book down.

The story takes place during the civil rights movement.  It focuses on African American woman working as maids for white families.  The story is 100% fictional, but to imagine that life really used to be that way 50 years ago just blows my mind.  I am so happy that times are very different know.  Although, I wonder every year if Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. were still alive today would he be proud of America?  I wonder.

Whenever I teach black history to my students they are always so surprised to learn that at one time schools, water fountains, restaurants, parks, restrooms, dressing rooms, libraries, etc. were not permitted to be shared by both black and white folks.  I think it's embarrassing that people at one time believed they could catch a disease from a person simply because of the color of their skin.  I feel ashamed knowing this.

Just this afternoon I was visiting with two of my friends who are black.  While listening to them talk it was hard to believe that at one time it was against the law for white and black people to sit together in a home and converse.  My friends could have been beaten, went to jail, perhaps had their house burned down for this.  And who knows what else? How ridiculous is that?  I just love these woman dearly and could not imagine living back when there was so much hate for African Americans.

I really encourage all of you to read the book.  I'm going to for sure watch the movie next!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)