Sunday, October 2, 2011

Out with the old and in with the new!

The mystery has been solved!  My Asics were making my feet numb because they were the wrong fit for my big fat foot!  Ha!!  After going to Fleet Feet yesterday I got a "running shoes 101" lesson from Jeff who fitted me for my shoes.  According to him, running shoes are made with specific width sizes.  The shoe I was wearing was a B width shoe.  I have a wide foot and I need to be wearing a D width shoe.  


Let me explain why width is important when buying a good running shoe.  See as you run your feet swell.  If you're in the wrong running shoe it will cut the circulation off and make your feet numb.  So that's what was happening to me.


Jeff brought out a few pairs of shoes for me to try on and he also taught me a different way to tie my sneaks so my ankles don't feel like their sliding around in my shoes.  Here are the shoes I picked.





They're so pretty! I think the aqua color looks like toothpaste. :)  These were the first pair I tried on and the ones I ended up with.  Yay for new shoes!!  I wore them today on my 7 mile run at the Tobacco Trail.  I felt great the whole time running.  No horrible knee pain at all while running.  And my knees really haven't ached much since I ran.  This is a VERY GOOD thing!  :-)  

Anyway, besides the shoes I also picked up some Jelly Belly sport beans.  This tasty treat contains 50 mg of caffeine, (about the same amount in a half a cup of brewed coffee) carbohydrates, vitamins and electrolytes. I ate my jelly beans about 35-40 minutes into the run.  I wasn't a huge fan of chewing and running at the same time.  Believe it or not it took some work! Haha!  And they were really sugary so I had to have some water once I was done with them.  I really can't complain though because they worked!  I felt awesome the rest of the run!


I also picked up Nuun tablets. (pronounced noon)  These tables are added to water and contain electrolytes.  They are sugar free and are contain less than 8 calories.  I bought strawberry lemonade tablets.  After running today I for sure needed something afterwards.  At first I wasn't so sure I liked the taste.  But I got used to it quickly and drank my water up pretty fast.  I recommend you give Nuun a try! :)
STRAWBERRY LEMONADE

The best part about my whole running shoe adventure this weekend was being able to get my money back for the old ones!  After I left Fleet Feet I headed over to The Athlete's Foot to see if I could return my shoes.  I thought for sure they would say no since I got them months ago, but they gladly took them back. :)  Yay me!  Since I was able to return those shoes, my new running shoes only cost me 20 bucks!  Not too shabby!

My 10 mile run is coming up pretty soon.  On October 22nd to be exact! My training up to this point has been really good and I love training with my friends.  It makes long runs soooooooo much better.  

This coming Saturday I'm going to be running a 5k for autism.  I'm apart of Team Joseph.  My sweet friend, Lisa that I work with has a son with autism.  We are all walking/running for him. (His name is Joseph if you haven't picked up on that already.)  I also did the race last year.  Erin and I are going to run it together.  I'll have pictures to share! :)

I love running! So much so that I put a "run." sticker on my car today. :)  

1 comment:

  1. Reading all of your running posts is making me jealous! I used to run, but have pretty bad arthritis in my knees, and so now running for me is a no-no. I really miss it sometimes! Isn't the high you get after a good run the best??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)