Monday, November 14, 2011

Fair well old friend!

I totaled my car on October 27th at 4:20 pm.  I was really sick that day.  I had cancelled my three parent teacher conferences and was on my way to my bed to sleep.  It's amazing at how quickly things can happen. One minute I'm cruzing down the road to Adel's "Someone Like You" and the next minute my air bags are deploying and then I'm sitting on the side of US 1.  

It all happened so fast.  I don't remember pulling my car off the road and honestly I can't believe I didn't hit the median.  It could have been so much worse.  God and my sister were watching over me.  Some people know about my sister Tiffany and some don't.  Tiffany was my older sister.  She was my parent's first born.  She died tragically as a result of a car accident.  Five days after her accident she died of massive brain trauma.   She was only 17 years old.  

I didn't tell my parents about the car accident immediately.  They were out of town on a trip my siblings and I had bought for them last Christmas.  They were away in San Antonio, Texas and there was just no reason to worry them.  I waited until that Saturday when they were home.  I told my dad first.  My mom was pretty upset when I talked to her about it.  You see, my accident was the same day and time as Tiffany's accident.  24 years apart.  I don't view that as a coincidence.  I know my sister was there with me.  She's always watching over me.  

Here are some additional photos I took of my car when I went to get all my belongings and sign over the title to my insurance company.  




Anyway, I truly believe this happened to remind me that God is present in my life.  I want to be the best Christian I can, but over the past few months was feeling so convicted about my choices and actions.  I was lost.  I know that this was God telling me that he is here to take care of me.  I always try to control everything in my life and do it all myself.  I never want to burden anyone.  Even God.  But after this wreck I just didn't worry.  I kept positive and gave my burden to God.  I truly believed he would take care of me.  And you know what?  He did.  Everything worked out perfectly.  God provided, and just 1 week after I totaled my girl I had a new car.  I'm the proud owner of a 2009 Nissan Versa. :0)  

 Erin took this photo of me after our trail run at Umstead Park.

I have to admit that I miss my Escape.  I don't miss the money I spent on gas though.  Also, I have to add that I used to be a pretty reckless driver.  I drove way too fast, took my eyes off the road too often, and played on my cell phone a lot.  Since wrecking that's changed.  I've realized how lucky I have been all these years to have never had an accident while being so reckless.  Fortunately I can say that I was following all the traffic rules when I wrecked my car.  You want to know something pretty crazy?  That morning when I was driving to work I was thinking to myself how lucky I was to have never been in a car accident.  How weird is it that I was thinking that and then wrecked that afternoon.  Kind of eerie if you ask me!

I want to end my post with verses from Matthew 11:28-30

 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

There is no denying the truth in these words.  I have them hanging on my bathroom mirror as a daily reminder. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)