Thursday, January 26, 2012

To marathon or not to marathon?

I've been a runner for three years now.  It all started with the Couch-to-5k running plan.  For 9 weeks I trained, and on April 29, 2009 I ran my first 5k.  I chose to run the Run for Our Heroes race that honors Raleigh police officers killed in the line of duty.  I ran the race so hard that I could barely catch my breath.  It was hard, but I met my goal of running the race in under 30 minutes without stopping. 

My ultimate fitness goal has always been to run a half marathon.  13.1 miles is no joke in my book and quite an accomplishment.  I finally took the plunge with my friend and running partner, Erin to run the 13.1 New York 1/2 on March 24th.  I think a 1/2 in NYC is definitely the way to go for my first one!  Now Erin talks about us running a marathon and I tell her she's loco!!  I have no desire to run 26.2 miles!!!  That's just soooooo farrrrrrrr.  I can only imagine how HORRIBLE it would be fitting in my weekday runs on that kind of a training plan.  I struggle some days to find energy just to run 4 miles on a weeknight! 

But then I came across this little gem today.... Top10 Marathons Worth Traveling For

For those not in the mood to click the link and read on, I'll just tell you the locations:

Napa Valley Marathon in Calistoga, Calif.

Paris Marathon in Paris, France

Boston Marathon in Boston, Mass.

Virgin London Marathon in London, England

Vancouver Marathon in Vancouver, Canada


Mont St.-Michel Bay Marathon in Mont St.-Michel, France

The Great Wall Marathon in Tianjin, China

The Big Five Marathon in Limpopo Province, South Africa

Athens Classic Marathon in Athens, Greece

Big Sur International Marathon in Big Sur, Calif.

The ones that really got me thinking about conquering 26.2 were the Paris, Big Sur, and The Big Five marathons.  All of them would be awesome though!!  When reading about the Great Wall race I thought it would be beautiful, but horribly dreadful to run!  I know if I ever really do decide to go for a marathon it will have to be in a really cool place.  Somewhere requiring international travel and a great deal of savings!  Who knows, maybe one day I will run a marathon?

1 comment:

  1. I knew that you would think about it! That's so exciting! LOVE IT! There are still a lot of 'big' marathons worth looking into in the US! I'll consider if I have a training partner.

    xoxo
    http://eloquentenglish1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)