Thursday, May 29, 2014

Flower Power

Last year was my first real shot at gardening.  Let's just say it didn't go over so well.  I went crazy planting all sorts of beauties, but by the end of the summer I had pretty much killed everything.  I learned many lessons too along the way.  I think the main lesson learned was you MUST water water water your plants daily.  I also learned that if you're after that wild flower look you see from your car while cruising down the interstate, you know the ones I'm talking about, lots of lovely colorful flowers blowing in the breeze.  Freely tossing random flower seed in your flower bed doesn't work so well when aiming to achieve that look.  My front flower bed looked like an overgrown weed-fest!  Not quite the look Oliver and I were going for.  I also learned that my yard receives many hours of direct sunlight and shade plants like hostas will wilt and turn a nasty shade of yellow when planted in open areas.  I could go on and on listing the many rookie mistakes Ollie and I  made, but I think you catch my drift.

But this year I've turned over a new leaf in the garden.  I'm determined to turn my brown thumb back to a green one. Oliver and I put a lot of thought into the plants we added to our front flower bed.  We planted only perennials (plants that come back year after year) and ones that we had success with last year.  These include lantana, verbena, several varieties of dianthus, and salvia.  We also transplanted all of our hosta plants to the back yard where they will thrive, and moved tons of monkey grass to the front yard.  But most importantly, I've been watering daily!!  I've also been doing more reading on how to care for these plants.  So far, so good...I think.  Granted it's only May and the hottest months are yet to come.

Anyway, I snapped some pictures today of some of the flowers I've planted over the past several weeks.  I wish I would have taken pictures last week when the dianthus plants were in full bloom.  Trust me though, they looked great.  Enjoy the pics!!

vincas

lantana
 (I have three of these guys.  One produces varieties of pink and other orange.)   

Pink and red vincas I separated and planted together. 

mandevilla vine

sunpatiens
I picked this guy up for a $1 at Home Depot.  It was in the rejected plant area.  All it needed was water and viola!  
dianthus and a cutie owl

pansies.
Easiest flowers to keep alive!  They share a planter with the mandevilla

begonia
This guy lived through the winter in our mudroom.  Also another easy plant to keep alive.

more dianthus

baby begonia

salvia


vinca

another planter with dianthus and an owl friend

Begonias in a pretty cool planter I bought at the flea market. The washboard belonged to Oliver's uncle.  

petunias

Today I was hard at work spreading out the massive amount of mulch Oliver and I bought.

20 cubic yards of mulch makes a lot of dust when being dumped!

I completed a flower bed and a half today before I threw in the towel.  5 hard hours of work followed up with a 2 hour nap!  Oliver will edge this bed over the weekend.  

I'll keep y'all updated on how I do this year!! Wish me luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I LOVE hearing from you! :)